Skip to main content

I Am a Catholic Principal!


Yesterday was National School Principal Day and this lovely nod from CPCO showed up on my Twitter feed! Prior to its release, I had to complete a questionnaire and what is featured on this image is the answer to a question that asked about what I thought was greatest accomplishment over the past year. I thought I would share all of the responses to the other questions that were asked.

Is there a personal experience/incident that led you to choose this vocation? Please describe.
I never planned for a career in Administration because I loved teaching too much. In ongoing discussion with a Superintendent-mentor, I began to realize how much more I could help students who really needed it. I also began to realize the potential that existed to influence change at both the local and systemic level in terms of supporting a variety of student needs through various initiatives.

What do you love the most about being a Catholic school leader?
What I have come to truly appreciate and love about being a Catholic leader is that I have learned
what it truly means to be the hands and feet of Christ. Ours is a vocation of service where we put the
needs of our students and the greater community first. I love being able to recognize and celebrate
the God-given gifts and talents of students and staff. Every encounter is an opportunity to model
what we truly value as Catholics. It is truly liberating to go to work as the most authentic version of
myself when the teachings of the Gospel are at the heart of everything I do - be it planning and
visioning, problem-solving, relationship-building, or allocating resources that support the various
needs of and enhance the overall well-being and development of students and staff.

What is the most difficult/challenging part of being a principal/vice principal?
The most challenging part of being a Principal is feeling powerless (I hate this word... ) at times, whether it is because of budgetary limitations, staffing constraints, or dealing with factors that are beyond my control that make helping students and their families difficult. Sometimes, depending on the circumstance, I feel I lack the expertise or the necessary resources to be completely effective. It has also been a challenge to accept that the pace of change is often slow, especially when the change is significant and there are a number of "moving parts" involved. Despite these frustrations, I know that most days, I am helping students and being supportive of teachers, support staff and my colleagues.

What is one success you had in the last year that stands our the most? Please describe. 
My current school is my first assignment as Principal. It houses our Board's Alternative Learning Program and Suspension and Expulsion Program. In a very short time, after making intentional changes to the instructional model and expanding access to various community and central resources, I have contributed to the significant growth and expansion of these programs and housing them in a more optimal environment. In doing so, more students have access to intensive in-school support for mental health, academic and behaviour needs. In working very closely with the teaching staff, we are able to design highly tailored academic programming that allows students to achieve success. I am especially proud of the culture that we have created, one rooted in trusting and caring relationships that has resulted in improved daily attendance for many students.

What are you most grateful for in your career?
I am most grateful for all my students. Each and everyone one of them has taught me how to be better in my role. Through them, I have learned to be a better listener, more compassionate and empathetic. The wisdom they share from their unique life experiences helps me to keep a very open mind, even more receptive to new ways of doing things and considering alternative practices that allows for the creation of a truly inclusive learning environment. It is because of my gratitude for my students that I feel that my advocacy for those who are most at-risk or marginalized is the focus of and motivation for the work I do.

What makes a good Catholic school principal/vice principal?
I think that the primary role of a Catholic school Principal, as a role model of the faith, is to foster a school culture that is conducive to the ongoing building of the Kingdom of Heaven on earth and to accept that there is a critical role to be played in the faith formation of students and staff. To this end, a Catholic school Principal sees the value in forming positive relationships with families and the local parish. He or she creates a dynamic teaching and learning environment where the God-give talents and gifts of students and staff are celebrated and used for the betterment of the immediate and broader community. Community service and academic excellence are valued. High expectations are had and opportunities for redemption are provided.

After 8 years, I'm not so sure that I'm that reluctant Administrator anymore. I have come to realize that I am where I should be working, despite my missing teaching so much. My love of teaching has greatly impacted my instructional leadership and kept my focus on students first. It is a gift to work in a role where you can affect and influence change so immediately for the betterment of students and their well-being. It's a privilege, really.


Comments

  1. James Alvarez2 May 2023 at 02:42

    Wow, What a information! The author's use of analogies helped me grasp complex ideas more easily. The post is really amazing.... Elite Hauling & Junk Removal offers one of the best Junk removal service st Petersburg that include items such as furniture, appliances, electronics, and construction debris.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leading During a Pandemic

 Never thought I'd EVER type a title like that.  Pandemics were only events I had taught about during my History classes. The experience thus far can only be described as surreal. It's been a part of our reality for nearly 10 months now and the fear and uncertainty is still not lost on me with the reporting of daily infection and death rates. It has been my single greatest challenge as a leader to date to show up to work everyday imbuing optimism that we're going to be ok, that school is a safe place to be. I have to say that on 98% of those days, I have believed just that. We have be so very fortunate not to have experienced any positive diagnoses of COVID-19 so far. Implementing the new health and safety protocols, while tedious and laborious, has not been all that  difficult. Sure, the work up front was a lot - signage, taping arrows and cues on the walls and floors, rearranging classroom furniture to establish social distancing in the classrooms ... as the Principal, th

Catholic Education Week 2020

Tomorrow marks the beginning of Catholic Education Week. It is truly a gift to be able to work in a publicly-funded Catholic school, where we can be free to express our faith so freely and unapologetically. It's a bit sad that we are presently in quarantine and cannot gather in community to celebrate this wonderful gift but my staff and I decided to capitalize on the marvel that is social media to stay connected to our students. We wanted to inspire hope and encourage them from our homes, to theirs. I challenged my staff to select a favourite Scripture passage that they felt evokes a great sense of hope and each day on our school's Twitter feed, I feature a staff member with their quote. I also posted these photos into all of the Google Classrooms that the staff were running for  distance learning. In our special community, where relationships are so key to student success, we thought it was important for the kids to see our faces. We called our little project #motivatedbyfaith

Where Has the Time Gone?

I've not posted anything in more than two years.  I just realized that only recently when time slowed right down into our current distance learning situation. I supposed not being fully immersed in the harried and hurried pace of a typical school day has allowed me the benefit of time to more intentionally collect my thoughts. I have been working as a Principal for the past two years and I've not formally reflected on or consolidated the tremendous amount of learning I've undergone. I have missed this very necessary exercise and so I will endeavour to be more regular. It's always been my experience that when I consolidate any learning more formally, I remember better and I apply more consistently. I have spent the last two years in the very last place I ever expected to begin my journey as Principal and that is leading a very special community of educators, support staff and students in our system's alternative education program. At the same time, it's the mos