Skip to main content

Remembering at School

Today is Remembrance Day. I've always been a proponent of this day being a stat holiday because of the significance of what and who we are remembering. I think I'm beginning to change my mind. Each year, Canadian schools prepare observances of some sort that often involve some pageantry, a member of the armed forces who comes to speak to the kids and in our case as a Catholic school, an offering of prayers of thanksgiving for those who have gone before us to secure our freedom and those who so courageously have taken up that cross to do the same today. If not for this opportunity that kids get at school, would they take the time at 11am to sit in quiet contemplation? Would they care? I'm reminded of a video that I think I have shown every year that I have been in education. Do you know "Pittance of Time" by Terry Kelly? The song is based on a true story and video so beautifully illustrates it:


As time goes on, what and who we remember evolves. The First World War seems so far removed from this generation of kids that there doesn't seem to be the same appreciation for the profound sacrifice that was made over 100 years ago. I can't think of a better time when we have a captive audience, to teach kids about the importance of what those young people did for our country so many years ago. The cost of was high. Canada lost 10% of its population during World War One. And while there have been so many wars and conflicts since, we need to show our kids that the loss and suffering that was endured was not for nothing. I think kids need to hear about the value of suffering and the need for resilience - two very uncommonly heard messages these days. I look at my students who are wonderful in their own right but I doubt so would be ever to do now what young people did so long ago when they enlisted to fight for Canada. It's not a criticism. Different times. Different priorities.

As educators, we are privileged to have this opportunity to honour our brave men and women of yesterday and today and we owe it to our kids to be examples of humility and gratitude.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leading During a Pandemic

 Never thought I'd EVER type a title like that.  Pandemics were only events I had taught about during my History classes. The experience thus far can only be described as surreal. It's been a part of our reality for nearly 10 months now and the fear and uncertainty is still not lost on me with the reporting of daily infection and death rates. It has been my single greatest challenge as a leader to date to show up to work everyday imbuing optimism that we're going to be ok, that school is a safe place to be. I have to say that on 98% of those days, I have believed just that. We have be so very fortunate not to have experienced any positive diagnoses of COVID-19 so far. Implementing the new health and safety protocols, while tedious and laborious, has not been all that  difficult. Sure, the work up front was a lot - signage, taping arrows and cues on the walls and floors, rearranging classroom furniture to establish social distancing in the classrooms ... as the Principal, th

Catholic Education Week 2020

Tomorrow marks the beginning of Catholic Education Week. It is truly a gift to be able to work in a publicly-funded Catholic school, where we can be free to express our faith so freely and unapologetically. It's a bit sad that we are presently in quarantine and cannot gather in community to celebrate this wonderful gift but my staff and I decided to capitalize on the marvel that is social media to stay connected to our students. We wanted to inspire hope and encourage them from our homes, to theirs. I challenged my staff to select a favourite Scripture passage that they felt evokes a great sense of hope and each day on our school's Twitter feed, I feature a staff member with their quote. I also posted these photos into all of the Google Classrooms that the staff were running for  distance learning. In our special community, where relationships are so key to student success, we thought it was important for the kids to see our faces. We called our little project #motivatedbyfaith

Where Has the Time Gone?

I've not posted anything in more than two years.  I just realized that only recently when time slowed right down into our current distance learning situation. I supposed not being fully immersed in the harried and hurried pace of a typical school day has allowed me the benefit of time to more intentionally collect my thoughts. I have been working as a Principal for the past two years and I've not formally reflected on or consolidated the tremendous amount of learning I've undergone. I have missed this very necessary exercise and so I will endeavour to be more regular. It's always been my experience that when I consolidate any learning more formally, I remember better and I apply more consistently. I have spent the last two years in the very last place I ever expected to begin my journey as Principal and that is leading a very special community of educators, support staff and students in our system's alternative education program. At the same time, it's the mos