Skip to main content

Lessons from Nonna

We tend to begin new projects with the best of intentions and then Life throws us a curve ball or two. I had wanted to post more but have been spending time with my 88 year old grandmother who has been in the hospital for the past six days with congestive heart failure. She is one of the strongest people I know. It is one of the greatest gifts in my daughter's life to have a relationship with her great-grandmother.

Nonna Rita was one of my earliest influences, especially when it came to what it meant to be a strong woman, a leader. She came to Canada in 1962, alone, with six young children in tow. She had no family here except her in-laws. We all know what that dynamic can be like... Her family remained in Italy. She didn't know the language and she was a stay-at-home mother, which didn't allow her to meet a lot of people. She ran a tight ship  - there were A LOT of mouths to feed and clothes to wash and lives to help manage. She took care of finances and maintained the home. She did it all alone. I love my grandfather but he is as much a product of his time as they come. He had his "place" and he constantly reminded my grandmother of hers. Despite her diminutive position in the house, she commanded respect by her sheer presence. She was tough, had clear expectations and demanded compliance. Sometimes that compliance came as a result of a flick of the wooden spoon or a even a shoe. Come on, we ALL have stories like this to tell in our families. While we may not use implements like spoons and shoes to prove a point, at the very least this is a lesson in consistency that I learned from her. No matter who the culprit, no matter the infraction, you could expect a consistent reaction from Nonna each and every time. There were no surprises.

Looking back on all the stories told by family, she was certainly a bit heavy-handed for today's standards and may not be a perfect model of leadership, but admire her. Maybe I'm just getting a bit sentimental and even a bit sad because I have to face that we are nearing this final phase of her life, but I hope that somewhere, deep down, I have an iota of the strength that she has - as a wife, a mother and leader.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leading During a Pandemic

 Never thought I'd EVER type a title like that.  Pandemics were only events I had taught about during my History classes. The experience thus far can only be described as surreal. It's been a part of our reality for nearly 10 months now and the fear and uncertainty is still not lost on me with the reporting of daily infection and death rates. It has been my single greatest challenge as a leader to date to show up to work everyday imbuing optimism that we're going to be ok, that school is a safe place to be. I have to say that on 98% of those days, I have believed just that. We have be so very fortunate not to have experienced any positive diagnoses of COVID-19 so far. Implementing the new health and safety protocols, while tedious and laborious, has not been all that  difficult. Sure, the work up front was a lot - signage, taping arrows and cues on the walls and floors, rearranging classroom furniture to establish social distancing in the classrooms ... as the Principal, th

Catholic Education Week 2020

Tomorrow marks the beginning of Catholic Education Week. It is truly a gift to be able to work in a publicly-funded Catholic school, where we can be free to express our faith so freely and unapologetically. It's a bit sad that we are presently in quarantine and cannot gather in community to celebrate this wonderful gift but my staff and I decided to capitalize on the marvel that is social media to stay connected to our students. We wanted to inspire hope and encourage them from our homes, to theirs. I challenged my staff to select a favourite Scripture passage that they felt evokes a great sense of hope and each day on our school's Twitter feed, I feature a staff member with their quote. I also posted these photos into all of the Google Classrooms that the staff were running for  distance learning. In our special community, where relationships are so key to student success, we thought it was important for the kids to see our faces. We called our little project #motivatedbyfaith

Where Has the Time Gone?

I've not posted anything in more than two years.  I just realized that only recently when time slowed right down into our current distance learning situation. I supposed not being fully immersed in the harried and hurried pace of a typical school day has allowed me the benefit of time to more intentionally collect my thoughts. I have been working as a Principal for the past two years and I've not formally reflected on or consolidated the tremendous amount of learning I've undergone. I have missed this very necessary exercise and so I will endeavour to be more regular. It's always been my experience that when I consolidate any learning more formally, I remember better and I apply more consistently. I have spent the last two years in the very last place I ever expected to begin my journey as Principal and that is leading a very special community of educators, support staff and students in our system's alternative education program. At the same time, it's the mos